Thursday, October 29, 2009

I am glad to have finally finished my music concrete project. Although at first this seemed to be a simple project it took a lot more time than I originally anticipated.

For my sound source it seemed logical that I choose huskies, since (besides the fact that I have two of my own) the sounds they make have always made me laugh. Huskies have a unique way of communicating that is somewhere between a howl and a bark. Most people call it "husky talk." I had originally wanted to sample the sounds of my own dogs, but since I don't have any great way to record them right now, I chose to use a clip off You Tube of a dog named Mishka.

This particular video is hysterical and most people seem to agree as it has more than 1.5 million views. In the video the dog's owners are trying to get him to say "I love you," and it's amazing how close he comes. I also added a 1 sec clip off of a Beastie Boys track of another dog saying "I love you." I used this clip for a rhythmic foundation, alternating with left and right speaker channels. I gradually add in Mishka's vocalizing which builds in intensity towards the middle at which point I combine two segments to create a syncopated type of effect. This particular rhythm I carry to the end, while the howling and "talking" builds in intensity to a full husky chorale.

The piece ends with the syncopated effect repeating and then abruptly becoming distorted and then stopping. This effect I created with the Wa Wa control and also by pitch manipulation. I used a total of six separate tracks to create this piece. This project was a lot of fun for me, and I hope to recreate it in the near future only this time use my own dogs as a source material.

No comments:

Post a Comment